Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hat - Progress 7

So I decided to go back to the Hat painting. There's always a bit of a resistance in me to working on a painting which has been paused for a while. Can I remember which colours I used? Which brushes? What if my technique has changed since the last time?
I had shown the painting to quite a few people (in numerous visits to my studio) and everyone said it was lovely and that I shouldn't work on it any more. But I wasn't happy, and rather than try to touch up the part I didn't like, I decided to completely re-do it. So I tentatively painted over the whole chest area.


Once that was done I was quite relieved - there was no going back and I was convinced that the effort would be worth it.



After a few hours it's starting to look like how I'd hoped. It's still a little too orange and lacking in detail. But not far from being finished!

1 comment:

Patricia van said...

I know the problem of forgetting the colors. There are always about 4 works-in-progress against the wall, so I NEED TO write down the color mixes (roughly) and the level of oilyness of the medium.
Furthermore I always write down a kind of "start-up" for the next time a painting is on the easel again. If I don't do that it takes a lot longer to 're-connect' to the painting again.
Strange eh ...