Thursday, May 14, 2009

Galaxy "progress"

I had a really clear idea in my head of how I would paint this and thought it wouldn't take long at all, but I used the wrong materials and realised at the end of the day that I'd rushed through it. Which means I'll basically have to start from scratch again.

I covered the three canvases in black paint, in a random pattern. I realised later that it would have been much better to paint the black in the same direction that the final swirls will be, so that texture in the paint will all point in the same direction. I might paint over the black again to try to acheive this, but will be battling against the texture underneath.

The I painted with the blue paint I'd been using on the Fascinator painting, since it gave a great effect on white. However, the blue on black gave a completely different feel since it was matt and the black background slightly shiny. Rather than giving an impression of a faint arm of a galaxy, it just looked like paint. Furthermore, it dried extremely quickly, so any hopes of smoothing it out on the canvas dissapeared. Once the blue dried it also became much darker - almost black. So at the end of the day after 4 hours of work I have nothing more than 3 black canvases.
Shopping list - Slow Dry medium, Big tub of blue paint. Water sprayer.

No comments: