Sunday, January 9, 2011

Elevator pitch

I was at a wonderful wedding over the weekend, and got into a disscussion about art where I was asked what my art was about. An elevator pitch, or artist's statement. I was surprised about what I said, so I'll try to repeat it here.
"I paint most often my wife, I work mostly from photographs, which are of an everyday nature. Rarely posed, or if they are posed, they are inspired from everyday situations. I work with the photographs digitally, removing everything which isn't part of the essence of the image or feeling. When I'm happy with that then I start painting. Emphasising the elements that were interesting in the original moment."

Edit: It's been pointed out to me that this is more a description of how I make my art rather than what it is. What's missing is that the (acrylic) paintings are photorealistic, with a high dramatic contrast, highly detailed with a minimal colour range.

No comments: