Friday, September 11, 2009

The Good Land - progress

I've had a picture in my head for a while of Linda wearing a scarf which flows in the wind. The picture covering most of a very wide canvas. On a sunny and windy day on Gotland I took lots of photos (over 200) of Linda wearing a silk scarf she was given by her sister.


I decided on a canvas 200 cm by 70 cm (80 x 28 inches) which I ordered from Martins color here in Malmö.


Which I painted blue. I wanted a gradient from a darker grey-blue at the top to a lighter grey-blue at the bottom. Mixing the three colours and painting them over such a large area was quite difficult, since it's so dry in the attic, the paint dries really fast, meaning there's very little possibility to mix on-canvas. But rather than using a slow-drying medium, I decided to work over the canvas with multiple thin washes, building the texture up, creating a complex network of subtle brushstrokes.



No comments: